Monday, November 20, 2006

Tips on Quiet Time

We had a seminar with the Hanudels recently that I found very helpful. My notes are brief, but here they are:

  • meet with God as a friend
  • keep it fresh -- mix it up with different stuff, locations, etc to keep it interesting
  • I'm not too busy to spend time with God. I'm too busy not to spend time with God.
  • keep in mind we tend to make time for what we prefer.
  • ask myself, what do I tend to do with my idle time
  • pray big... really big (and small too). The "impossible".
  • don't doubt God's goodness
  • Romans 8:28
  • sometimes write prayers down... helps with focus
  • have an occasional "blitzkreig"... long reading session.
  • memorize Colossians 3
  • Set some goals, low at first, and talk to one person about that goal

    We went over some categories for quiet time:
  • Hear: Romans 10:14
  • Read: Revelation 1:3
  • Study: Acts 17:11
  • Memorize: Psalm 119:9-11
  • Meditate: Psalm 1:1-3 and Deuteronomy 6:4-9 (prayerful reflection with a view to application).

    And some recommended books (some of these are not necessarily the right titles... will need some googling to get them right):
  • Passion -- Elliot
  • Knowing God -- Packer
  • Bondage of the Will -- Luther
  • Lorraine Boettner -- Reformation
  • The Religious Affections -- Edwards
  • Faith Alone -- Sproul (easy read)
  • Biblical Christianity
  • Pink -- Sovereignty of God
  • Jim Downing -- Meditation
  • Eric Liddle -- The Dash (movie)
  • 4 Comments:

    Blogger G. F. McDowell said...

    I've got a copy of Jim Downing's book. It is short and sweet. I've also got Packer. I've read Passion & Purity by Elisabeth Elliot, and it was good and eminently readable.

    Friday, November 24, 2006  
    Blogger G. F. McDowell said...

    Email me, and I'll bring them with me next week.

    Friday, November 24, 2006  
    Blogger AndyOfVermont said...

    Next week? Are you coming next week? When?

    Saturday, November 25, 2006  
    Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Hi Andy
    the quiet time with God Tips they areally are great. I have been doing this for a while now.
    I invite him to the store with me to pick out clothes, or to the library etc and do all the other stuff on your list (well not Colossians yet) and it really builds up your relationship with him as a friend who you can trust...Trust you to have this list on there!
    talk to you later :)

    Wednesday, December 06, 2006  

    Post a Comment

    << Home